Thank You “Stepping On” Workshop!
Thank You “Stepping On” Workshop! Karen had an unfortunate fall before participating in the Stepping On program. Because of the strategies taught in the classes, she’s been able to avoid falls. She loved the pharmacist and physical therapist who came in as guest speakers. They shared information about mixing medications and being aware of your surroundings. Karen does the exercises she learned about in the classes and has been using her exercise bike to stay active. She says that “listening to other people’s experiences with falls and knowing that you’re not the only one going through it was the most helpful part of the class.”
Stepping On workshops
Stepping On is designed specifically for people who are: 1) at risk of falling, 2) have a fear of falling, or 3) who have fallen one or more times. Participants meet for two hours a week for seven weeks. Workshops are facilitated by trained Leaders and provide a safe and positive learning experience.
It is the process in which the program is taught that makes it effective. Classes are highly participative; mutual support and success build participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health behaviors, reduce their risk of falls, and maintain active and fulfilling lives.
Who should take the workshop?
Stepping On is for people who:
- Are 60 or older
- Live in their home or independent apartment
- Are able to walk without the help of another person
- Do not use a walker, scooter or wheelchair most of the time indoors
- Are cognitively intact
- Understand the language being used by the Stepping On Leader
Subjects covered include:
- Simple and fun strength and balance exercises
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance
- How medications can contribute to falls
- Ways to stay safe when out and about in your community
- What to look for in safe footwear
- How to check your home for safety hazards
- Learn to step outside your home with confidence
- Learn with people your own age
- Become more aware of fall hazards and learn how your fall risk can be reduced
- Study the most up-to-date information on falls prevention
- Help others by sharing what has worked for you
Are you an older adult with a fear of falling? Thanks to grant funding through the Good Shepherd Foundation, a free seven-week workshop for older adults, called Stepping On, is being offered at Shepherd of Grace in Becker beginning in September 2018. To register or to receive more information, call Kassara Kneeland at 320-258-9357 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-registration is required by August 31. There will be more information coming in the near future!