Join Our Team
The Good Shepherd Community is a very rewarding place to work. We dedicate ourselves to caring for residents, tenants, and clients through the values of service, compassion, trust and respect.
Typical Day as a Housekeeper
Creating and maintaining positive physical environments is crucial to resident satisfaction and a community’s reputation. The housekeepers maintain our community’s good looks and cleanliness by ensuring that the residents reside in a clean and sanitary environment. Keeping a facility clean is a 24/7 operation which is why we’re looking for amazing people like you!
Our housekeepers must follow specific directions and schedules. Cleaning chemicals are potentially dangerous and housekeepers must handle them properly to avoid injury. They must be thorough in their work and pay attention to details. As a housekeeper, you’ll also need coordination skills to perform numerous duties within a specific time period. Familiarity with cleaning and disinfecting materials is important to determine appropriate solutions for specific cleaning needs. You’ll also need experience with various commercial cleaning tools, like vacuum cleaners, carpet shampooers and washing machines. Housekeepers work on their feet most of the day, so physical endurance is necessary to carry supplies and reach cleaning areas.
The Good Shepherd Community offers a very comprehensive package of benefits to our employees including:
- Competitive wages
- Profit sharing 401k plan with match
- Flexible spending plan (cafeteria 125 plan)
- Paid personal leave
- Funeral leave
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance plan
- Employee wellness center
- Educational scholarships (upon availability)
- Corporate discounts
Here’s what a Typical Day of a Housekeeper may look like.
There will generally be a list of duties to complete on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Here are a few to start with:
- Maintain all assigned areas in a clean and sanitary condition
- Wash, dust, polish, vacuum and sweep all areas of the establishment
- Clean sinks, tubs, showers and toilets according to prescribed sanitary standards
- Polish fittings and fixtures
- Clean mirrors and windows
- Sort and wash laundry using machines or by hand as required
- Fold and distribute clean laundry
- Empty and clean trash cans
- Listen and respond to resident’s queries and requests
- Ensure adequate stock of cleaning supplies
- Keep cleaning equipment in good working order
- Maintain clean storage area for equipment and supplies
- Observe and report any maintenance and safety issues
- Assist with resident activities
As a housekeeper, you’ll also be responsible for sanitizing the room when residents pass away or move out and preparing it for a new resident. You may clean and disinfect furnishings within the community. As needed you may also clean bodily fluids for residents who are sick or incontinent. Familiarity with safe sanitation practices will be helpful.
If you love taking care of people as much as we do, this just might be the career path for you to help make a difference in someone’s life. Cleanliness and daily maintenance is incredibly important to the well-being of residents and staff at Good Shepherd.